Tuesday, September 13, 2016

CZ SP-01 Review (9mm - Safety Version)

My CZ SP-01 in its current configuration with the Streamlight TLR-1 HL
Tom Gresham, the host of Gun Talk Radio, is famous for saying “I haven’t held I gun I didn’t like”. You can say I feel the same way he does and yes, I held and fired a Hi-Point. But the first gun I ever fell in love with was the CZ SP-01 (safety version). 

My father introduced me to guns and every gun he had ever owned was a hammer-fired pistol, whether it was the Colt Python or his Sig P228. There was something about the look or the sound of a hammer cocking back that made me love this particular style of gun. Although my first handgun purchase was a striker fired pistol, I knew my collection wouldn’t be complete without one. While my heart was set on purchasing a Sig P226, my research on Calguns and popular blogs led me to the CZ SP-01. Here in California, these things are quite elusive so the moment I saw one in stock and held it, I couldn’t resist bringing one home…after 10 days…infringement.

First day out at the range - 10 yards away

Fast forward 2 years, I have about 2k rounds through it. I have taken the CZ SP-01 to a couple of handgun training courses and open carried it on several trips to the BLM.  During this time frame, I can say confidently this is hands-down one of my favorite handguns in my collection. Here is why:

The gun fits perfectly in my hands. I don’t have particularly large hands (7.25” from the bottom of my palm to the tip of my middle finger), but these fall right into place. The fire controls are exactly where I want them to be. The safety is ambidextrous, easy to maneuver and do not get in the way. 

The rubber stock grips are perfect for my hands.  The grooves and swells fall right in place with the anatomy of my hands and provide just the right amount of grip/texture to feel secure even with sweaty digits. I have no desire to change out the grips for defensive purposes. 

It has good weight. I am sure the low bore axis helps with preventing muzzle flip, but I find the weight, particularly at the front end, helps with the follow up shots. 

It has very aggressive slide serrations both at the front and back. This helps tremendously with press checks, racking the slide and clearing any malfunctions. 

Malfunctions or the lack thereof. In the 2k+ rounds fired through this gun, I haven’t had a single failure. Even went to the range straight from the store without cleaning/lubricating the gun. It is a solid performer and I wouldn’t hesitate trusting this with my life. 

Cost effective. This will not break the bank. Let’s hope this remains on the California Handgun Roster and doesn’t become subject to the CA premium.

Stock trigger is decent right out of the box. It is not as refined as a 1911 but it definitely is serviceable. My particular CZ had just the slightest bit of creep and grit in single action

*Subjectivity Alert* - It is one handsome firearm and I enjoy every round fired.

There are a lot of things to consider when purchasing a CZ SP-01 that you may want to consider if you are thinking about making this your first handgun purchase. It has a different manual of arms than say a Glock or a Springfield XD. Some might argue it is more complicated than a 1911 because it has both a safety and is a double-action/single-action weapon. While it is perfectly safe to holster this cocked and locked (hammer back with the safety engaged), local USPSA rules require the hammer to be in the forward position when holstered with a round in the chamber. De-cocking the CZ requires you to pull the trigger and gently guiding the hammer down on a live round.  Your first shot will be a long and somewhat heavy pull in the stock configuration. This is something you have to consider if you intend on using this for competitive use. Other than that, this gets the Doughboy seal of approval for whatever that’s worth.

Verdict: BUY

Disclaimer: I am not special forces. I am very much a nerd who loves shooting.  Please take my reviews with a grain of salt. I am but a single data point in the grand scheme of things, but I'd love to hear your feedback, questions or concerns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment