Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Kimber and Springfield 1911s chambered in 9mm

I have trained with a handful of pistols, but I have spent a good portion of my time training with Striker-Fired handguns like the Springfield XD, Glock 17 and the Smith & Wesson M&P Full Size all chambered in 9mm. I have enjoyed every minute and round fired through these handguns, but I have always been drawn to Hammer-Fired platforms, like the CZ SP-01 I recently reviewed. Owning a 1911 never crossed my mind because a) .45acp is far more expensive to shoot b) I know 1911s are addictive and tend to multiply c) the new CA guns laws (if they pass) will make it harder and more expensive to purchase ammo, so I want to consolidate my pistol cartridges to one or two main calibers – 9mm being my favorite.

Side by side comparison of both the Kimber and Springfield 1911 in 9mm

After a day of crossfitting, a buddy of mine casually mentioned that 1911s chambered in 9mm are cool. Ever since that was mentioned, a seed was planted in my mind and what appears to be a year later, I have a 1911 chambered in 9mm. Actually, I have three. I bought the 2 full-size models on the CA roster: Kimber Stainless Target Loaded II and the Springfield Loaded. The other not pictured is the Springfield Range Officer, which is off roster but legally traded for via private party transfer. My initial impressions are very positive so far. Here are some things I have noticed from very early use:

Kimber Stainless Target Loaded II

Lighter weight compared to the Springfield Loaded
Stock grips are “grippier” than Springfield
Easier to field strip even with a full length guide rod
Picky with magazines. Some will drop free with the slide locked back. My particular model likes the stock Kimber 9 round magazine, MecGar 9 round magazine, 10 round Metal Form magazines
Certain magazines like the Brownells brand 10 round magazines (from personal experience) and Wilson Combat 10 round magazines (per user reviews online) can damage the barrel feedramps. When the slide locks back, the barrel has a tendency to move rearward. When inserting these brand of magazines, the front lips can and in my case will make contact and slightly damage it. It does not impair feeding, but I will not use these magazines with this firearm in the future.
Functional slide serrations. Great for press checks. 
Absolutely beautiful finish. 
Front sight fell off after 150 rounds of shooting. Local gun store help me install Trijicon tritium sights. Rear sights will not adjust for elevation 

Another view of the Springfield Loaded

Springfield Loaded

Tight slide to frame fit with no noticeable wobble
Feels gritty when pulling the slide back and forth
Guide rod requires an allen key to remove. Personally, I do not like this and will replace it with a tool-less guide rod and bushing, probably from Wilson Combat.
Seemingly heavier and softer shooting. Confirmed by second shooter. 
Likes all my magazines except the MecGar 9 rounder. Will not lock slide back. 
Tighter and grittier mag release button. Either needs to be filed down or worked in.
Wood grips are absolutely beautiful but leaves me wanting aggressive G-10 grips. 
Speaking only for myself, I much prefer the Springfield trigger out of the box due to its crisp break. 

Call it a honeymoon phase, but I absolutely love these firearms. They are soft shooting guns that’s incredibly easy to shoot. While it has a completely different manual of arms when compared to a Strike-Fired pistol and it requires slightly different training, I welcome the challenge. I have even made a conscious decision to compete with these guns in IDPA and USPSA. Expect follow up reports in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment